Safety Tips and Q&A (Big tip! All the wonderful of aroma will shoot right up the fireplace flue. Make sure you also enjoy the aroma outside of your house, or be very careful making sure some of the aroma (smoke) makes its way into the room you have the fireplace in.
Youtube Video: How to light an Irish Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euZMZrO9wr4&feature=related)
Since Irish Turf & Briquettes must be burned to be experienced, you should always be safety conscious. All burning devices, BBQs, smokers, incense burners, fireplaces and stoves, come with manufacturer's safety directions, please read them and follow them carefully.
1. Make certain that no part of burning turf comes into contact with wood or other flammable materials.
2. Never burn turf inside cupboards or with anything hanging above the burning turf. The rising heat from the turf (along with the smoke) can cause discolouration and is potentially a fire hazard. If you want to use turf smoke to scent clothing, hang it at least eighteen inches above the burning turf.
3. Incense burners can heat up, even soapstone burners get hot. Always be careful where you place the burner. A hot burner can damage or discolour wooden surfaces. Never try to move the burner while in use.
4. Never leave burning turf unattended. If you have to leave your premise while your turf is still burning, put it out. If you have to, you can put it out under water. A better method is to bury the burning turf in a sand filled can. That will put it out but still allow you to relight the turf at some future time.
5. Although this seems obvious to say, burning turf is hot. Just grazing the glowing tip of burning turf can cause a significant burn on skin and clothing.
6. Watch burning turf and make certain the ash is dropping where it should. If the ash is falling outside its container you might need to reposition it or use a different burner. It's a very good idea to contain the ash. It can discolor furniture and might even be hot enough to be a fire hazard itself.
7. A little turf goes a long way. Most homes and apartments are adequately ventilated to burn a small piece of turf, however, it is not recommended to burn turf in small enclosed environments, as that may cause dangerous levels of carbon monoxide to collect.
Turf is organic and non-toxic. If used with care, turf is quite safe and amazingly pleasant.